A Letter from Our CEO, Blair Kellison
At Traditional Medicinals, we are a plant-powered, purpose-fueled business, intertwining our social impact with consistent financial growth. With that growth often comes growing pains—and we are not immune.
The demand for organic, ethically traded herbs is greater than ever. With our standards for quality, this is especially challenging. Our response has been to increase our investments in our sourcing communities to secure a sustainable supply chain of high-quality, ethically-sourced herbs.
Climate change also impacts our sourcing communities. We can’t overstate the value of sustainable practices like organic farming, ethical wild collection, fair labor standards, and the work done by the Traditional Medicinals Foundation to support resilient supply communities in these challenging times.
Throughout the years, our purpose has not changed; we connect people to the power of plants, sourcing and formulating herbal wellness from around the world.
Here are a few highlights from the year that we are especially proud of, and we invite you to browse the report here for more details:
- We operate on 100% renewable power. To get to—and stay at—this level, we are guided by our certification as a California Green Business™ to streamline our energy use in all areas.
- We have attained 86% waste diversion from landfills. Our highest diversion rate yet measured, bringing us within 4% of our goal of 90% for Zero Waste Certification.
- We are proud of the work we have done to reach 99.7% organic herbs in our products. Despite the careful balancing of quality and conditions required to sustainably source these organic ingredients, we continue to work towards our goal of organic certification for 100% of our products.
- For the second year in a row, Traditional Medicinals was honored as a “Best Place to Work” by the North Bay Business Journal.
- As a Certified B Corporation, we were named a “Best For The World” honoree in recognition of our positive impact on the environment, our workforce, local communities, suppliers, customers, and our corporate governance. As a California Benefit Corporation, we review our progress in more detail in our Benefit Appendix.
- We were honored by the World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF-China) for helping to establish the world’s first panda-friendly certification. This is the first certification to advocate for and protect the long-term survival of the giant panda bear of southern China, where we source wild southern schisandra berry.
Since 1974, we’ve been passionate about connecting people with the power of plants. Resolving to do this while supporting the needs of our source communities and the planet takes dedication and innovation. We continue to hold ourselves and our suppliers to ever higher standards to create long-term, sustainable solutions for our global supply.
We thank you for supporting us in this journey.
— Blair Kellison, CEO