Department: Research & Development
Reports To: Director of Research & Development
This role entails supporting the development and growth of herbal wellness products. The Senior Scientist will align with TM mission and business strategy, lead botanical wellness projects as technical lead, and work collaboratively with project teams, cross-functional departments, and contract manufacturers to ensure projects are completed successfully.
- Inspire a sense of shared purpose within cross-functional project team.
- Align technical team members with project objectives and deliverables.
- Delegate technical activities/tasks; empower SMEs.
- Support Project Leader in developing project charter and product briefs; articulate herbal and scientific considerations.
- Develop technical timeline and resource requirements.
- Outline technical requirements for contract manufacturer organization (CMO) scouting.
- Lead technical discussions; manage challenges; lead changes; celebrate accomplishments.
- Update project leader, project teams, and/or Innovation Steering Committee on technical progress.
- Formulate concept- and/or bench-top prototypes with herbal formulator.
- Identify new ingredients and outline technical requirements for sourcing.
- Conduct prototype sensory and analytical testing, data analysis, and make recommendations.
- Support R&D analytical leader to identity and develop testing methods.
- Evaluate CMO’s product development, piloting and production capabilities.
- Create product development guidelines for CMOs.
- Lead prototype development at CMO; conduct sensory and analytical testing.
- Develop new ingredient and product specs; set up technical requirements of package materials; ensure the accuracy of final specs.
- Initiate and participate in pilot runs.
- Collect pilot samples for testing to ensure the specs are met.
- Revisit specs, manufacturing procedure and COGs analysis if needed.
- Work with substantiation leader for supplement panel, dosing, caution statement, and substantiation file.
- Support Purchasing, Operations, and Marketing for 1st production planning.
- Participate in 1st production and trouble-shoot process issues.
- Collect production samples for testing to ensure the specs are met.
- Support product launch and post-launch; participate in 1st production for process trouble-shooting; train Sales, Marketing and customers on product benefits, features, and Q&A.
- 7+ year’s R&D-related experience in Food, Dietary Supplement or OTC industry. Experience in herbal science or medicine preferred.
- Recognized skills and experiences in food or herbal product development from initiation through commercialization.
- Demonstrated R&D project management leadership, collaboration and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple cross-functional projects.
- Demonstrated ability to manage healthy conflicts cross-functionally.
- Demonstrated ability to navigate in a high growth environment while managing ambiguity.
- Excellent knowledge of sensory design and evaluation.
- Good knowledge of good manufacturing practices (GMPs), food safety, and sensory evaluation of food/beverage products.
- Some knowledge of regulations for dietary supplements (DSHEA)
- Experience in participating and contributing to building and maintaining a high-performance collaborative culture.
- View R&D as a service within the organization that supports the business strategy, Sales, Marketing, Operations, and ultimately the end customer.
- Ideally, this person will be coachable and promotable and have an eye towards both strategy and execution to prepare for leading herb application group in the future.
- MS or equivalent discipline in Food Science or related field.
- Botany or herbalism certification a plus.
- NPDP/PMP certification or MBA a plus.
- Self-motivated, proactive in attitude and action, and results-driven.
- Ability to facilitate cross functional teams and work collaboratively.
- Sensible yet data-driven.
- Creative and willing to try new things
- Accountable to key deadlines and commitments made.
- Approachable and resourceful.
- Strong organization, prioritization, and time management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing business conditions.
- Must be proficient in computer skills of using Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work 5 days a week on site and travel up to 10%.
Compensation & Benefits
A competitive compensation & benefits package available to the ideal candidate.
Relocation resources available to the ideal candidate if needed.
Apply For This Position:Apply now