Cost Accountant – ID 296
Reports To: Director Finance, Supply Chain
The focus of the Cost Accountant is to enable the Management and Executive team to make better informed decisions and reduce cost per case. They do this predominately through setting accurate standard costs, the analysis of production data including establishing, measuring, reporting and analyzing KPI’s and other metrics, reviewing and analyzing variances, preparing, tracking and analyzing differences to the COGS budget, and by understanding the ERP system and making specific recommendations for (and actively participating in) changes, additions and improvements to the systems and associated processes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Cost Accounting – Std Cost, Cost Estimate, Variance Analysis, Overhead
- Assist with refining methodology for setting material, labor and overhead standards;
- Set, maintain and update costs (annual full cost roll)
- Prepare cost estimates for new and/or special products
- Assume responsibility for understanding manufacturing variances and assist with projects to identify root causes and recommend possible solutions
- Monthly analyze and report on production variances
- Become the in-house expert in understanding all costs in the manufacturing overhead pool and work with department heads to plan and control overhead spending
- Metrics/KPI’s – Prepare, analyze, report and recommend corrective actions
- Prepare and analyze KPI/metric data and reports related to operations for senior management
- Lead project to manage and track inventory turns and monitor obsolete and/or expired inventory
- Budgeting and Forecasting – Annual budget, monthly forecast update
- Assist with the preparation of the detailed annual COGS budget by acct/dept/month, including variances, and related Balance Sheet budget for inventory, and Cash Flow
- Assist with the preparation of monthly forecast updates to the Variance accounts,
- Assist with the preparation of periodic Balance Sheet forecast updates for Inventory and Cash Flow
- Production Analysis – Capacity planning, process and productivity improvement,
- Assist in keeping a balanced inventory by supplying data to help decision making
- Assist in preparation of ROI calculations to justify new Capital Expenditures
- Work with key personnel to effectively implement process improvements to maintain the highest possible productivity levels
- ERP System:
- Become a power user of the ERP with an in-depth understanding of every module that touches procurement, production, and distribution including both the operational/transactional side as well as the accounting side of the inventory and costing transactions. This will include an in-depth understanding of how costs flow through manufacturing and how they flow into the general ledger.
- Lead and/or assist implementation of new processes for both material and data flow.
- Assist in implementation and testing of new MRP modules and upgrades.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- At least 3 years cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment – food manufacturing or pharma industry experience a plus
- Successfully implemented process improvements with quantifiable savings
- Experience with an Enterprise software system – Microsoft Dynamics AX preferred.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Project Management experience preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Quick learner and quick thinker, good at brainstorming
- Passionate believer of visual metrics and focused KPI’s
- Extremely well-organized and accurate with details
- Highly creative and out of the box thinking
- Statistical Analysis skills desired
- Lean, Value Stream Mapping experience a big plus
- Knowledge of Spanish a plus
Apply For This Position:Apply now