Reports To: Controller
The Opportunity for Accounting Manager
Expanding the Company’s accounting department’s capacity and skills is one of its top priorities and as a result this is an important full-time position that will report directly to the Controller. This position offers a meaningful opportunity to contribute at a rapidly growing, environmentally and socially sustainable Company. Today TM is the leading medicinal, organic and fair trade tea company in the US and is poised for tremendous growth having the right products, distribution, financial stability and board of director’s support to support that growth. As the Company continues to grow, additional opportunities will become available for continued career growth within the Accounting Department as well as other areas across the organization.
TM is seeking an experienced individual with a 4 year degree in accounting or finance to support the Controller and Chief Financial Officer in carrying out the responsibilities of the Finance / Accounting Department. Applicant must have a minimum of 6 years of accounting experience beyond clerical positions, preferably in a manufacturing environment, and minimum of 2 years experience managing accounting staff. Candidate must have demonstrated a high proficiency in Excel and Word, be well organized, detail oriented and possess strong technical and interpersonal skills as well as possess the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines. Public accounting experience is highly regarded.
Compensation includes a competitive base salary and bonus and includes medical benefits, eleven paid holidays, a 401K plan, and participation in the Company’s profit sharing plan.
The Accounting Manager position is an exempt full-time position expected to exercise discretion and judgement, reporting to the Controller. The Accounting Manager is responsible for managing the Accounting Supervisor, Staff Accountants, Accounts Receivable Accountants, Accounts Payable Accountants, Deductions Specialists and Accounting Intern and oversees the day to day operations of the Accounting Department. The Accounting Manager will perform a wide variety of professional duties including, but not limited to, interpreting and/or formulating company policies and procedures, guiding and implementing process improvements, improving and managing department workflow, facilitation of the month-end financial close including exercising discretion and judgement to recognize and resolve unusual or complex issues. The Accounting Manager is responsible for directly managing financial audits working directly with the outside auditors, as well as reviewing general ledger reconciliations and directing the analysis independently determined necessary to understand and resolve any issues uncovered. Because of the confidential nature of the information maintained in the Accounting and Finance Department, a high degree of confidentiality is required at all times. Flexibility and the ability to manage constantly changing priorities with a positive attitude are required. The Accounting Manager will work directly with the Controller, Executive Leadership Team and our external Legal, Banking, Insurance, Audit and Tax partners which requires strong interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and direct day to day activities of Accounting Department staff.
- Accomplishes staff results by communicating job expectations, appraising job results, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Obtain a thorough understanding of TM business processes, apply previous experience to make recommendations for improvements and coordinate implementation of process changes both within accounting department and through cross-functional teams.
- Manage and coordinate with other departments to direct the completion of the monthly and year-end close procedures to ensure that financial statements and compliance requirements are completed correctly and on time.
- Independently determine and perform or direct Accounting Department staff as well as other departments regarding the handling of non-routine transactions.
- Analyze and review all monthly account reconciliations to ensure transactions are recorded accurately, determine and resolve issues identified.
- Direct the analysis of the financial statements, supporting schedules and compliance reports according to the monthly close schedule.
- Monitor internal controls, ensure procedural documentation is maintained and prepare/recommend improvements to internal controls.
- Support budget and forecasting activities by analyzing accounts, performing research and resolving issues uncovered, and responding to inquiries as requested by the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller or Department Heads.
- Monitor and analyze department work to proactively develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Monitor emerging technology to determine ways to automate the accounting process without sacrificing accuracy and accountability.
- Manage departmental process improvement initiatives to increase task efficiency and functional capacity.
- Direct and facilitate completion of documentation required for financial and bank audits, preparing tax returns and corporate reporting requirements.
- Manage the annual insurance renewal process including facilitating the application process with Departments and insurance brokers.
- Other projects as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance from an accredited university required, MBA or other advanced degree a plus.
- Minimum of six years’ accounting experience beyond clerical positions required including prior experience supervising accounting department staff.
- Public accounting experience highly regarded.
- Previous accounting experience in a manufacturing or wholesale environment highly regarded.
- Strong analytical and accounting skills.
- Proficiency in using and interpreting data from ERP system.
- Previous experience with Microsoft Dynamics AX highly regarded.
- Intermediate level proficiency with MS Excel required.
- Excellent organization skills, attention to detail and ability to effectively manage multiple competing priorities with minimal supervision.
- Self-starter requiring limited task supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal, conflict management, verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and independent judgement.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Previous experience with accounts payable, accounts receivable and retail grocery deductions highly regarded.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Apply For This Position:Apply now