We’re serious about sustainability. From our certified organic and non-GMO ingredients to our commitment to renewable energy, we represent the vanguard of environmental and social responsibility. In everything we do, we strive to uphold the three pillars of sustainability: environmental protection, social equity and economic viability.
We are committed to annual sustainability reporting. This practice is more than self-assessment, which is important and ongoing at every level of our organization. In addition to our own internal audits, we are also reviewed and rated by independent, third-party organizations. We measure our performance using the metrics and standards developed by B Lab, the California Green Business Program, the Green America Green Business Network and the Sustainable Food Trade Association.
Four decades of sustainability
- 2013: Became a Certified California Green Business
- 2012: Increased the organic percentage of our botanical raw materials to 97%
- Achieved 100% Non-GMO Project Verification of our herbal tea products
- 2012: Became a member of the Sustainable Food Trade Association (SFTA) and committed to reporting annually our sustainability and social responsibility performance
- 2010: Became a Certified B Corporation
- 2009: Initiated the first phase of our five-year Revive! Project® in Rajasthan with the non-profit organizations GRAVIS (the Centre of People’s Science for Rural Development) and WomenServe
- 2009: First manufacturer in the world to label and market herbal products with FairWild® Certified ingredients
- 2008: Named winner of the 2008 Nutrition Business Journal Business Achievement Award for Environment and Sustainability
- 2008: Installed 1,450 solar panels and since have generated an average of 426,178 kWh of electricity annually
- 2004: Joined a global project with IUCN, TRAFFIC, and WWF to help develop and implement the International Standard for Sustainable Wild Collection of Medicinal & Aromatic Plants (ISSC-MAP)
- 2001: Began to offset GHG emissions through the purchase of “Green-e Energy Certified” Renewable Energy Certificates
- 1998: Began to label and market herbal tea products with Fair Trade Certified™ ingredients
- 1997: Earned the Waste Reduction Awards Program (WRAP) award issued by California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) annually until the program ended in 2011
- 1995: Became a member of the California Certified Organic Farmers (CCOF), the only full-service organic certification agency and trade association.
- 1992: Joined Green America’s Green Business Network™ of socially and environmentally responsible businesses; Became a Green America Certified Business
- 1990: Introduced the first lines of post-consumer waste paper products (Envision and Green Forest brands) on the 20th anniversary of Earth Day
- 1982: First U.S. manufacturer to market a range of herbal products packaged in cartons made from 100% recycled paperboard
- 1980: First U.S. manufacturer to market a range of organically and domestically grown herbal products
- 1978: Designated profits from two herbal teas to support local clean energy activist group SoNoMore Atomics
- 1974: Traditional Medicinals was founded in Guerneville, California