Think you’ve got the right stuff? Check out our job openings and drop us a line at RECRUITING@TRADMED.COM if your skills and inclinations match one of our open positions. Company Background Traditional Medicinals® (TM) is a growing, financially sound, forty-year-old herbal medicinal tea company based in Sonoma County, CA. The Company manufactures over 50 varieties of tea in its solar-powered Sebastopol facility, and recently opened a Marketing and Sales office in Petaluma. TM is proud to be the number one medicinal, organic, and fair trade herbal tea company in the US. In 1974, TM pioneered the herbal medicinal tea category and over the years has grown to become the sixth-largest bagged tea company in the US. Its products are distributed nationally across all channels, from health and natural foods stores (Whole Foods), to all major national grocery chains, to mass market retailers (Target & Wal-Mart), and drug stores (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid). TM is an independent, employee-owned (ESOP), mission-driven company with a planning horizon extending beyond the next generation. The concept of a triple bottom line focusing on people, planet, and profits is part of the Company’s mission and the basis for its success over the past 40 years. We have a manufacturing and warehousing operation based in Sebastopol, CA, which is 65 miles north of San Francisco, and a sales and marketing office located in Petaluma, CA which is 40 miles north of San Francisco.
Director of Manufacturing
Reports to Vice President of Operations The Position is Full Time Exempt, located in Sebastopol, CA To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Recruiting@tradmed.com.
The Director of Manufacturing will be responsible for the strategy, planning and efficient execution of Traditional Medicinals’ (TM) manufacturing, operational planning, training, maintenance, and 3rd party manufacturing functions.
- Lead the manufacturing organization for Traditional Medicinals, including the integration of long term company and operational plans with the manufacturing plan.
- Create and execute a long term manufacturing strategy that supports the fast paced growth of the overall organization, including capacity planning, human resource planning, asset management, and capital planning.
- Execute the manufacturing strategy to meet organizational goals.
- Manage a staff of 3 – 7 direct reports and a large group of manufacturing operators.
- Evaluate, hire, develop and engage the manufacturing staff to ensure the department is ready to meet the growing demands of the business.
- Drive cost reduction without sacrificing quality.
- Manage the budget of the manufacturing cost centers to meet financial targets for COGS and other corporate financial goals.
- Execute the daily manufacturing activities to meet daily, weekly and monthly production requirements.
- Negotiate all 3rd party manufacturing contracts and assure that operational partners are providing the highest quality services at the best competitive price. Manage the ongoing relationships and contractual agreements of the TM third manufacturing network.
- Design, develop and monitor processes to insure top level performance in Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Drive continuous improvement in the area of sustainability and environmental stewardship, including LEAN / Six Sigma principles through both incremental operational improvement and project based initiatives.
- Run the weekly production meeting with Planning, Purchasing, Quality, Sales and Marketing which is responsible for maximizing product availability, meeting monthly cost targets, and ensuring product quality.
- Create strategies to support manufacturing for new channels such as club, food service or international markets. Ensure the manufacturing group is capable to meet these demands in the future.
- Own the activities performed in the manufacturing modules of the ERP system and assure it is being utilized to its maximum benefit.
- Ensure that all manufacturing and operations employees are properly trained to perform the activities required to perform their job.
- Ensure regulatory compliance for all manufacturing processes as set forth by the relevant regulatory authorities; including, but not limited to GMP, FDA, OSHA, and HACCP.
Â Required Skills & Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related field (business, engineering). MBA preferred.
- 7+ years directly managing the daily activities of a manufacturing function. Preferably in the pharmaceutical, supplements or heath & natural food industries.
- Subject Matter Expertise (SME) in Manufacturing from strategy through implementation.
- Ability to drive organizational improvement through goal setting and management of KPIs.
- Expertise in LEAN manufacturing and process improvement. Six sigma Green or Black Belt preferred.
- Strong financial acumen with particular emphasis on budgeting and cost accounting.
- Strong knowledge of GMP / FDA / OSHA / HACCP.
- Previously managed a team of > 5 direct reports. Mix of exempt and non-exempt preferred.
- Strong understanding of ERP systems. Direct experience with QAD ERP a plus.
- Working knowledge of Spanish.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to analyze business problems from both a qualitative and quantitative perspective.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to think innovatively.
- Ability to build and support strong cross-functional teams through management experience and coaching.
- Ability to grow direct reports through coaching and support.
- A passion for advancing customer expectations.
- Passionate believer of visual metrics and focused KPI’s.
- Data driven decision maker.
- Extremely well-organized and accurate with details.
- Highly creative and out of the box thinking.
- Ability to travel 10% – 20%, both domestically and internationally.
- Ability to meet minimum physical requirements to work in a manufacturing environment, including but not limited to : the ability to sit, stand for two or more hours at the time ; the ability to operate a computer and office equipment and the ability to lift up to 20 lbs. throughout the day.